How to Keep Your Hair Healthy This Summer
July 14 2020
Every season comes with its own unique challenges for your hair. Summer’s biggest challenges are dry hair caused by saltwater and chlorine, sun damage, and humidity-induced frizz. There are a few things you can do to defeat those challenges and keep your hair healthy this summer.
Start with a Trim
If you haven’t had a trim within the last 6 weeks, that is the first place to start. Keeping your hair trimmed regularly is one of the most important steps in maintaining a healthy mane. By getting regular trims you are removing damaged ends before they have a chance to cause a bad hair day.
Weekly Deep Conditioning
Saltwater and chlorine are both very drying for your hair. If you are swimming a lot to try and beat the heat, your hair needs a little extra TLC. Always give your hair a cool rinse after swimming to help minimize the effects. If your hair is already dry, start with an intensive hair repair deep conditioning treatment to help rehydrate, strengthen, and smooth your dried-out strands. Then, follow up with a weekly deep conditioning treatment to keep your hair in great condition. This will go a long way to preventing frizz on those high humidity days. Choose products that are formulated for your specific hair type, and if you aren’t sure, ask your stylist for recommendations.
Protect Your Hair from Sun Damage
Fun in the sun and summer go hand in hand. And while this is a good thing, heat and UV rays can damage your hair and fade your color. So think about your hair the next time you apply sunscreen. There are special sunscreen sprays for your hair to help protect your lovely locks. Wearing a wide-brimmed hat when out and about is also a great way to prevent color loss and sun damage.
Turn Down the Heat
Heat damage leaves your hair looking dull and frizzy. Excessive heat while styling opens the cuticle of your hair allowing moisture to escape. You can help prevent this by using a thermal protectant to seal the cuticle when heat styling and using the lowest heat setting possible. For best results avoid heat styling altogether by allowing your hair to air dry naturally and choosing hairstyles that don’t require heat styling. For example, try braiding damp hair before bed and leaving them in all night for beachy waves in the morning.
Come see us at Ellie K Salon for a new summer style or a trim to help keep your hair in tip-top shape this season. Give us a call at 469-476-2400 or stop by our salon at 2552-1 Stonebrook Parkway Suite 200 Frisco, TX 75034. You can also schedule a time through our online booking and appointments through our Google app.
- Simple Solutions for Staticky Hair
- 5 Benefits of Hair Extensions
- Benefits of a Professional Blowout
- Hair Care Resolutions for 2021
- Our Salon Quality Products Make Great Stocking Stuffers
- Trendy Haircuts for the Holidays
- Elegant Updos for Every Event
- Nutrition Is the Key to Gorgeous Hair
- Sweet Autumn Hairstyles for Little Girls
- Balayage Trends to Inspire Your Autumn Hair Color
- Bridal Hairstyle Trends for Fall Weddings
- Have Someone That's Hard to Shop For? Gift Cards to the Rescue!
- Instantly Add Versatility and Volume with Hair Extensions
- Get Perfect Curls Without Heat
- How to Keep Your Hair Healthy This Summer
- Brighten Your Summer with Beautiful Highlights
- Waxing Services Made Easy at Ellie K
- Banish Bad Hair Days
- Summer 2020 Hair Trends You Won’t Want to Miss
- Super-Cute Braid Ideas
- 5 DIY Hair Masks
- Hair Colors You Have to Try this Spring
- Our Favorite Curly Hairstyles
- Steal These Styles for Your Hair
- Are You Using the Right Brush for Your Hair?
- Are You Washing Your Hair the Right Way?
- Hair Colors for the New Year
- Add Volume to Thin Hair With These Haircuts
- Make Your Blowout Last With These Tips
- Hairstyles When You Don’t Have the Time to Dry
- Tips for Making Colors Last
- Protecting Hair for Winter
- Add Volume to Your Hair With These Tricks
- The Best Bangs for Your Style
- Boost Your Confidence With Extensions
- Irresistible Styles for Medium Length Hair
- Gorgeous Hairstyle Ideas
- Playful Ways to Shake up a Pixie Cut
- Fight Summer Humidity From Affecting Your Hair
- Try Out a Trendy New Hair Color
- Don’t Just Use Any Dye, Get Exclusive Aveda Hair Color
- The Best Ways to Style Bangs Before a Trim
- Great Styles to Welcome in the Summer
- Making Beauty Beautiful
- Protect Your Hair Color Between Visits
- Cute Summer Hairstyles for Girls
- Create the Perfect Hairstyle for Your Perfect Day
- Enjoy Our Ellie K Salon Mobile App Experience
- Top Men’s Hairstyles for Work & Play
- Balayage: Artistic Highlights for Gorgeous Hair
- Warm Colors to Kick off 2019
- Start off with a Sexy, New Cut to Kick off the Year
- Formal Hair Trends for the Winter Festivities