How to Co-Wash Textured Hair the Right Way
July 31 2021
Co-washing is the latest trend in textured hair care. While not great for fine, thin, or limp hair, co-washing can breathe new life into thick, curly, coarse, or dry hair, as long as you do it the right way. Doing it wrong can leave your tresses looking greasy with weighed-down curls and itchy buildup on your scalp. Let’s look at how to co-wash your textured hair the right way for softer, smoother curls.
What Is Co-Washing?
Co-washing is a process of cleansing your hair without shampoos that strip away your natural oils. It’s more than simply applying conditioner to your hair and rinsing it out. That is co-rinsing, not co-washing. Co-rinsing doesn’t cleanse the hair and will leave you with nasty buildup. Co-washing leaves your hair both cleansed and conditioned.
The first thing to do is choose a co-wash or cleansing conditioner. They contain gentler cleansing agents than shampoo to remove dirt without stripping your hair. While these conditioners double as a cleanser, this is still a two-step process.
The cleansing power of a conditioner is not as powerful as that of shampoo, so it’s going to need a little help from you. You want to completely drench your strands for a few minutes while gently massaging with the pads of your fingers, making sure you get every strand. The friction and running water will remove excess dirt and debris to allow your conditioner to cleanse more effectively.
After rinsing well, apply conditioner generously, starting at your scalp. Massage all over your scalp and hair with the pads of your fingers for no less than 2 minutes. Remember, this gentler product needs some mechanical help to get things squeaky clean. Gently squeeze your strands to distribute the conditioner to the tips of your hair, and leave it in for another 2-3 minutes. After allowing the nourishing ingredients of the conditioner to absorb and soak loose stuck on gunk, rinse your hair well to make sure all of the conditioner-coated grime is washed down the drain.
Don’t Leave It In
While it’s true that leaving a touch of conditioner in your hair can help to smooth and tame very unruly curls, the problem with this is if you don’t rinse the co-wash conditioner out, all the dirt and grime is also left in your hair. So rinse it all out and apply some fresh leave-in conditioner for an extra shot of moisture and control. (Keep in mind that this does not work well for every hair type.)
Need a new cut to showcase those gorgeous curls? Come see the expert stylist at Ellie K Salon. Give us a call at 469-476-2400, book your appointment online, or download our free Google app to make an appointment today for a custom cut that will make your textured hair even easier to style and manage. We’ll see you soon at 2552-1 Stonebrook Parkway Suite 200 in Frisco, TX.
- Tips to Keep Your Long Locks Healthy
- Gorgeous Autumn Hair Colors to Dye For
- Simple Yet Beautiful Hairstyle Ideas for Your Busy Schedule
- How to Co-Wash Textured Hair the Right Way
- Balayage Gives Natural Looking Sun-Kissed Summer Highlights
- Summer Hair Care Tips for Curly Hair
- Hottest Short Styles for Summer
- Hair Care Tips for Gorgeous Summer Hair
- Add Personality to Your Style With These Cute Fringed Cuts
- 4 Expert Tips for Gorgeous Red Strands
- Benefits of Glazing Your Hair
- Gorgeous Hair Color Trends for Spring
- The Right Tool for the Job- Heat Styling Tools Explained
- Fresh Spring Looks for Guys
- Simple Solutions for Staticky Hair
- 5 Benefits of Hair Extensions
- Benefits of a Professional Blowout
- Hair Care Resolutions for 2021
- Our Salon Quality Products Make Great Stocking Stuffers
- Trendy Haircuts for the Holidays
- Elegant Updos for Every Event
- Nutrition Is the Key to Gorgeous Hair
- Sweet Autumn Hairstyles for Little Girls
- Balayage Trends to Inspire Your Autumn Hair Color
- Bridal Hairstyle Trends for Fall Weddings
- Have Someone That's Hard to Shop For? Gift Cards to the Rescue!
- Instantly Add Versatility and Volume with Hair Extensions
- Get Perfect Curls Without Heat
- How to Keep Your Hair Healthy This Summer
- Brighten Your Summer with Beautiful Highlights
- Waxing Services Made Easy at Ellie K
- Banish Bad Hair Days
- Summer 2020 Hair Trends You Won’t Want to Miss
- Super-Cute Braid Ideas
- 5 DIY Hair Masks
- Hair Colors You Have to Try this Spring
- Our Favorite Curly Hairstyles
- Steal These Styles for Your Hair
- Are You Using the Right Brush for Your Hair?
- Are You Washing Your Hair the Right Way?
- Hair Colors for the New Year
- Add Volume to Thin Hair With These Haircuts
- Make Your Blowout Last With These Tips
- Hairstyles When You Don’t Have the Time to Dry
- Tips for Making Colors Last
- Protecting Hair for Winter
- Add Volume to Your Hair With These Tricks
- The Best Bangs for Your Style
- Boost Your Confidence With Extensions
- Irresistible Styles for Medium Length Hair
- Gorgeous Hairstyle Ideas
- Playful Ways to Shake up a Pixie Cut
- Fight Summer Humidity From Affecting Your Hair
- Try Out a Trendy New Hair Color
- Don’t Just Use Any Dye, Get Exclusive Aveda Hair Color
- The Best Ways to Style Bangs Before a Trim
- Great Styles to Welcome in the Summer
- Making Beauty Beautiful
- Protect Your Hair Color Between Visits
- Cute Summer Hairstyles for Girls
- Create the Perfect Hairstyle for Your Perfect Day
- Enjoy Our Ellie K Salon Mobile App Experience
- Top Men’s Hairstyles for Work & Play
- Balayage: Artistic Highlights for Gorgeous Hair
- Warm Colors to Kick off 2019
- Start off with a Sexy, New Cut to Kick off the Year
- Formal Hair Trends for the Winter Festivities