Balayage: Artistic Highlights for Gorgeous Hair
January 31 2019
If you’re exploring a new hair color, you may have heard of balayage, one of the hottest techniques for highlighting hair. We get a lot of questions asking what it is and how it’s different from other techniques. Here’s a quick rundown on balayage and why it’s such a popular option.
Balayage is a highlighting technique, named from the French word that means, “to paint” or “to brush.” With balayage, your stylists brush in the highlights for a natural, blended look that mimics hair lightened by the sun.
With traditional highlighting techniques, hair is first separated into sections with foils before the highlight color is applied. This creates a uniform highlight that looks less natural. Because the stylist paints in highlights when using the balayage technique, it’s more random and natural looking. Balayage can be called a freehand technique because the stylist chooses where to apply color. That makes it more of an artistic technique, and the color that results will be unique.
Because its so unique and the results you want will vary from others, the time it takes to create balayage highlights will vary. You might want just a few highlights, which takes only a few minutes, or you may need a layered, multicolored look that could take a few hours. Have a consultation with your stylist before your balayage appointment to talk about the results you want from your highlighting, and she’ll let you know how involved the process will be for your needs.
One benefit of balayage is the ability to showcase features you like and distract away from others since the technique is so flexible. For example, your stylist can create a look that complements your facial shape, or one that distracts away from a prominent feature you’d like to tone down.
Balayage is not just for those long, beach wave looks. Your stylist can use balayage to add highlights to any length hair, even a short pixie style. Balayage works great when you want to brighten up your own color but don’t want to commit to a full-color change.
Want to try balayage for yourself? Make an appointment today at Ellie K Salon. Our professional, experienced stylists will create the perfect highlights to complement your individual style. Call us at 469-476-2400 or visit us at 2552-1 Stonebrook Parkway Suite 200 Frisco, TX 75034. At your convenience, you can also book your appointment online.
- Bridal Hairstyle Trends for Fall Weddings
- Have Someone That's Hard to Shop For? Gift Cards to the Rescue!
- Instantly Add Versatility and Volume with Hair Extensions
- Get Perfect Curls Without Heat
- How to Keep Your Hair Healthy This Summer
- Brighten Your Summer with Beautiful Highlights
- Waxing Services Made Easy at Ellie K
- Banish Bad Hair Days
- Summer 2020 Hair Trends You Won’t Want to Miss
- Super-Cute Braid Ideas
- 5 DIY Hair Masks
- Hair Colors You Have to Try this Spring
- Our Favorite Curly Hairstyles
- Steal These Styles for Your Hair
- Are You Using the Right Brush for Your Hair?
- Are You Washing Your Hair the Right Way?
- Hair Colors for the New Year
- Add Volume to Thin Hair With These Haircuts
- Make Your Blowout Last With These Tips
- Hairstyles When You Don’t Have the Time to Dry
- Tips for Making Colors Last
- Protecting Hair for Winter
- Add Volume to Your Hair With These Tricks
- The Best Bangs for Your Style
- Boost Your Confidence With Extensions
- Irresistible Styles for Medium Length Hair
- Gorgeous Hairstyle Ideas
- Playful Ways to Shake up a Pixie Cut
- Fight Summer Humidity From Affecting Your Hair
- Try Out a Trendy New Hair Color
- Don’t Just Use Any Dye, Get Exclusive Aveda Hair Color
- The Best Ways to Style Bangs Before a Trim
- Great Styles to Welcome in the Summer
- Making Beauty Beautiful
- Protect Your Hair Color Between Visits
- Cute Summer Hairstyles for Girls
- Create the Perfect Hairstyle for Your Perfect Day
- Enjoy Our Ellie K Salon Mobile App Experience
- Top Men’s Hairstyles for Work & Play
- Balayage: Artistic Highlights for Gorgeous Hair
- Warm Colors to Kick off 2019
- Start off with a Sexy, New Cut to Kick off the Year
- Formal Hair Trends for the Winter Festivities