4 Expert Tips for Gorgeous Red Strands
April 30 2021
Red is one of the hottest hair colors for spring this year. Because of the all too common myth that some people just can’t pull off red hair, many people are reluctant to choose red because they fear it won’t look good on them, or they dread the maintenance. Rest assured, anyone can look ravishing in red and maintain a vibrant color easily with just a few tips from the pros.
Tip #1- Match Your Skintone
If you’ve ever tried life as a redhead before and were less than pleased with the outcome, chances are it was because the undertones of the shade chosen did not match your skin tone. Contrasting tones in your skin and hair can leave your complexion looking washed out, yellow, or ashen. The hair color just simply looks out of place when it doesn’t play well with your skin. Your colorist will be able to help you choose a shade that compliments your skin to give you beautiful natural-looking results.
Tip #2- Don’t Wash Right Away and Do It Less Often
You just spent precious time and money to get the perfect color. Don’t be in a hurry to wash it down the drain. Wait at least 24 hours before sudsing up after you leave the salon to allow the color time to set. 48 hours is preferable. You don’t need to skimp on hygiene here, but to keep your color brighter longer you’ll want to shampoo less often. Most people only need to shampoo their hair a couple of times per week. Shampooing your hair opens the cuticle to allow oil and dirt to be washed away, and some of your colors go with it. You can freshen up between washings by investing in a good quality invisible dry shampoo. Avoid the cheap stuff unless you like the powdered wig look.
Tip #3- Swap Out Your Products
Go through all of your hair care products and make sure they are sulfate-free and formulated for color-treated hair. Specially formulated for red hair is even better. These formulas are extra gentle to help preserve your color. Regular shampoo and conditioner are too harsh and will strip your color quickly leaving you with dull faded locks.
Tip #4- Glaze It
Adding a glaze to your color boosts your shine to make your color appear more vibrant while it coats the hair shaft to lock color in longer. It can even brighten strands that have started to fade. You just can’t go wrong with glazing red hair.
The expert colorists at Ellie K Salon would love to help you find your perfect shade of red. Give us a call at 469-476-2400 or use our convenient online booking service and find out what life as a redhead is really like. To manage appointments from your phone, download our free Google app. You’ll find us at 2552-1 Stonebrook Parkway Suite 200 in Frisco, TX.
- 4 Expert Tips for Gorgeous Red Strands
- Benefits of Glazing Your Hair
- Gorgeous Hair Color Trends for Spring
- The Right Tool for the Job- Heat Styling Tools Explained
- Fresh Spring Looks for Guys
- Simple Solutions for Staticky Hair
- 5 Benefits of Hair Extensions
- Benefits of a Professional Blowout
- Hair Care Resolutions for 2021
- Our Salon Quality Products Make Great Stocking Stuffers
- Trendy Haircuts for the Holidays
- Elegant Updos for Every Event
- Nutrition Is the Key to Gorgeous Hair
- Sweet Autumn Hairstyles for Little Girls
- Balayage Trends to Inspire Your Autumn Hair Color
- Bridal Hairstyle Trends for Fall Weddings
- Have Someone That's Hard to Shop For? Gift Cards to the Rescue!
- Instantly Add Versatility and Volume with Hair Extensions
- Get Perfect Curls Without Heat
- How to Keep Your Hair Healthy This Summer
- Brighten Your Summer with Beautiful Highlights
- Waxing Services Made Easy at Ellie K
- Banish Bad Hair Days
- Summer 2020 Hair Trends You Won’t Want to Miss
- Super-Cute Braid Ideas
- 5 DIY Hair Masks
- Hair Colors You Have to Try this Spring
- Our Favorite Curly Hairstyles
- Steal These Styles for Your Hair
- Are You Using the Right Brush for Your Hair?
- Are You Washing Your Hair the Right Way?
- Hair Colors for the New Year
- Add Volume to Thin Hair With These Haircuts
- Make Your Blowout Last With These Tips
- Hairstyles When You Don’t Have the Time to Dry
- Tips for Making Colors Last
- Protecting Hair for Winter
- Add Volume to Your Hair With These Tricks
- The Best Bangs for Your Style
- Boost Your Confidence With Extensions
- Irresistible Styles for Medium Length Hair
- Gorgeous Hairstyle Ideas
- Playful Ways to Shake up a Pixie Cut
- Fight Summer Humidity From Affecting Your Hair
- Try Out a Trendy New Hair Color
- Don’t Just Use Any Dye, Get Exclusive Aveda Hair Color
- The Best Ways to Style Bangs Before a Trim
- Great Styles to Welcome in the Summer
- Making Beauty Beautiful
- Protect Your Hair Color Between Visits
- Cute Summer Hairstyles for Girls
- Create the Perfect Hairstyle for Your Perfect Day
- Enjoy Our Ellie K Salon Mobile App Experience
- Top Men’s Hairstyles for Work & Play
- Balayage: Artistic Highlights for Gorgeous Hair
- Warm Colors to Kick off 2019
- Start off with a Sexy, New Cut to Kick off the Year
- Formal Hair Trends for the Winter Festivities